Wednesday 31 March 2010

A Rose Amongst Thorns

Plumber Kady Midgley is truly a rose amongst thorns. She is the only female contractor working alongside 200 men on the reconstruction of Weston’s Grand Pier.

Kady, who is 22 and lives in Shirehampton, Bristol has been working on the Pier for the last four months. Her job is to install all the piping needed for the toilet blocks and heating systems in the new Pavilion building. She works for the contractors Joyner Morgan.

Kady was the only woman on the plumbing course she attended at the City of Bristol College and admits things can be a bit tough sometimes, but she really enjoys her job because she is doing something different every day. She says she gets the usual friendly banter but doesn’t feel at all challenged.

She said: “My family are very proud of me for being a female plumber. Working on the Pier is an absolutely fantastic opportunity. I am gaining an awful lot of experience while I am here and will be able to finish my NVQ level 3 qualification before I move on to another job. I am used to working with men and wouldn’t change my career path for anything else.

“It will be great to be able to come back to Weston-super-Mare in the future and say to people ‘I worked on re-building the Pier’. I will be part of the history”.


For latest images check out our WEBCAM

Become a fan on FACEBOOK

Get tweeting with us on TWITTER

1 comment: